Here’s my recipe for Chinese Crispy Roast Pork. I’ve tried several recipes from my Aunt Yuen and some from the internet and found this to be the best method after combining all recipes considered.
Chinese Crispy Roast Pork
- Sharp pin tool – toothpick, skewer, pin meat tenderizer
- Heavy oven safe weight (Casserole dish, Cast iron skillet)
- Baking/Roasting Pan
- 2-3 pounds Pork Belly
- 2 teaspoon Shaoxing Wine
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon five spice
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper optional
- Rinse the pork and pat very dry
- Rub shaoxing wine on the meat side
- Mix salt, sugar five spice and white pepper and rub the mixture evenly on the skin and meat
- Place the pork uncovered in the fridge for 24-72 hours. The longer it is, the crispier the skin but you sacrifice juicy meat
- Set oven to 400F
- Use your pin tool to puncture the skin in tight rows but don’t go beyond the skin
- Put the pork skin side down on a baking pan and place parchment paper on top with a oven safe weight holding it all down
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Switch oven to High Broil and place the pork skin side up for about 10 minutes. Watch for the skin to start crisping up and even popping almost like popcorn. If some areas are getting a bit too dark, cover with foil and continue until the pork is nice and brown.
- Take out of the oven and let rest for about 15 minutes and then cut it up!